If I Were a Bird
If I Were a Bird
Artist: Michael Lewin
Composers: Jean-Philippe Rameau, Josef Hofmann, Charles Tomlinson Griffes, Edward MacDowell, Olivier Messaien, Edvard Grieg, Enrique Granados, Adolf Jensen, Theodor Leschetizky, Maurice Ravel, Mikhail Glinka, Robert Schumann, Cyril Scott, Louis-Claude Daquin, Camille Saint Saens, Alexander Alabieff, David W. Guion, Adolf Henselt, Walter Niemann, Igor Stravinsky
Format: 1 CD
Michael Lewin’s latest release, If I Were a Bird, is an enchanting collection of piano music dedicated to the endlessly fascinating flight and fancy of birds.
Taking a cue from a plethora of existing poetry and musical works, Michael Lewin has included many bird selections in his recent concert programs, and their overwhelming public acceptance inspired the creation of this soaring musical collection. Compiling them into this album, If I Were a Bird contains works by Maurice Ravel and Adolf Henselt, many of which have not been previously recorded. The album is concluded by Stravinsky’s Firebird Suite in the rarely heard and fiendishly difficult solo piano transcription by Guido Agosti.
Michael Lewin enjoys a distinguished international reputation as one of America’s most abundantly gifted and charismatic concert pianists, performing to acclaim in 30 countries as orchestral soloist and in recital. Highlights of Mr. Lewin’s 2009 performances included recitals and orchestral engagements throughout the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, Italy, and Greece. In England, he made his London recital debut at Wigmore Hall, followed by a recital at Oxford University. He played for the first time in Venezuela and made his 10th appearance as soloist with the Boston Pops.
Mr. Lewin made a notable New York recital debut in Lincoln Center in 1984, on which occasion the New York Times wrote that “his immense technique and ability qualify him eminently for success”.
Presented as a premium hard cover book style gift package, the uplifting music of If I Were a Bird is also accompanied by a full-color booklet containing beautiful images of birds, many painted by renowned ornithologist and wildlife artist, John J. Audubon. Each image was specifically chosen for its direct or inspirational relation to the accompanying musical selection. A wonderful gift for the casual bird-lover or accomplished ornithologist, as well as classical music lovers, If I Were a Bird is sure to please the ears as well as the eyes.
1. The Gathering of the Birds-Jean-Philippe Rameau
2. Woodbird's Delight-Josef Hofmann
3. The White Peacock, from "Roman Sketches"-Charles Tomlinson Griffies
4. To a Humming Bird-Edward MacDowell
5. The Dove, from "Preludes"-Oliver Messaien
6. Little Bird, from "Lyric Pieces"-Edvard Grieg
7. The Maiden and The Nightingale from "Goyescas"-Enrique Granados
8. Little Wood-Bird-Adolf Jensen
9. The Two Larks-Theodor Leschetizky
10. Sad Birds, from "Miroirs"-Maurice Ravel
11. The Lark-Mikhail Glinka/transcribed by Mili Balakirev
12. The Prophet Bird, from "Waldscenen"-Robert Schumann
13. Water-Wagtail-Cyril Scott
14. The Cuckoo-Louis-Claude Daquin
15. The Swan, from "Carnival of the Animals"-Camille Saint Saens/transcribed by Alexander Siloti
16. The Nightingale-Alexander Alabieff/transcribed by Franz Liszt
17. Turkey in the Straw-David W. Guion
18. If I Were a Bird-Adolf Henselt
19. Chinese Nightingale, from "Alt-China (Old China) Suite"-Walter Niemann
Firebird Suite-Igor Stravinsky/transcribed by Guido Agosti
20. Danse infernale de roi Kastchei
Total time: 73:04
Release date: March 2010